Our club was founded in 1978. We offer separate classes for adults and children ages 8-12, in cooperation with the D.C. Department of Parks and Recreation and the Jelleff Boy's and Girl's Club. We have one of the largest clubs in the International Shotokan Karate Federation.
- First time students
- Shotokan practitioners who will be in the area temporarily
- Individuals who are resuming karate training
- Those who have practiced other styles of martial arts
Because many of our members have trained for many years, about half have black belts. We also have a cadre of white and colored belts who are training hard and progressing as well.
Our club typically has about 50 to 75 active members at any one time.
Our diverse group includes…
- Members from age 8 to 70
- Individuals from a dozen countries of origin
- Members of varied interests and professions
Our club is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization operated by members who volunteer their time as instructors and officers. This helps us keep our fees low and our efforts focused entirely on the study of karate.
We welcome individuals of all races, religions, and genders.